Top 10 must-try local food in Can Tho - FME Travel
Can Tho makes visitors love not only because of its peaceful beauty, peacefulness, and warm people but also because of the rich and unique Can Tho delicacies.
- Delicious food taste to awaken your taste buds
- Cheap food prices
- Each dish is associated with the culture of Can Tho so you will have the opportunity to learn more about Can Tho.
- Food with typical flavor of Western Vietnam.
- Healthy food
Hello, my name is Nhi. I am a local in Can Tho and I’ve been a tour guide for this beautiful city for 3 years. Coming to the center of the Mekong Delta – Can Tho city, in addition to visiting famous tourist sites, you can experience rustic dishes in the countryside right in the center of urbanization of the city.
After many years of living in Can Tho, I consider these are the dishes that I really like, and you must try them when coming to Can Tho. I think this list of food will be difficult for tourists to find and only locals can tell you.
Let’s discover the top 10 must-try dishes in Can Tho.
The first is the specialty food in Can Tho:
1. Banh Xeo (Vietnamese Pancake)
Banh Xeo is a kind of Vietnamese pancake that is made of rice flour, coconut milk, and turmeric powder with the filling ingredients being pork, prawn, and green bean. This dish is one of the most popular dishes in the Mekong Delta, especially Can Tho.
The name “Banh Xeo” – sizzling cake refers to the sound of the rice batter when it “lands” into the hot pan. According to some documents, Banh Xeo is derived from the center of Vietnam and the size of the cake got more extensive when it came to the South.
Banh Xeo is served with raw vegetables and coriander. You will use the raw vegetables to roll bánh xèo and dip it in the fish sauce to enjoy. The fatty, sweet and crunchy flavor of the pancake mix with the sweet and sour taste of the dipping sauce will awaken all your senses.
- Where to eat: Banh Xeo 7 Toi restaurant.
- Address: 45 Hoang Quoc Viet Street, An Binh Ward, Ninh Kieu District, Can Tho.
- Price: 50,000 VND – 110,000 VND.
- Opening hours: 8:00 am – 10:00 pm.
- Google Maps: https://goo.gl/maps/86MMJf6RMLUEZMaq8
Banh Xeo 7 Toi restaurant is famous for a long time in Can Tho. The Vietnamese Pancake here has the typical flavor of the South and the thin crust is delicious and crispy. But I find the most special of the Banh Xeo here is minced duck meat and coconut tuber. Not everywhere has such a great combination in Western Banh Xeo.
The pancakes here are specially processed to create a unique and delicious taste. Although cooked with duck meat, don’t worry about it stinking! Here the duck meat is handled very well.
2. Banh Cong (Vietnamese Fried Shrimp Cake)
Banh Cong, also known as Fried Shrimp Cake, is a common afternoon or evening snack in Can Tho. This food is made from rice and soy flour, mung beans, shredded taro, minced pork, and shrimp. It comes with lettuce, a variety of fresh herbs, and either a sweet or sour dipping sauce.
Find out more stories about Banh Cong dish via Emagazine: Banh Cong – A Mekong Delta crispy cupcake.
There is no denying that the flavor of Banh Cong is perfectly tasty. We may carefully savor the fleshy flavor of the green beans, the fatty and sweet taste of the fried meat and shrimp, and the crispy sweetness of the dough by slowly chewing on these little, lovely, fragrant, crunchy, melt-in-your-mouth cakes.
Furthermore, the restaurant’s unique selling point may be the seasoned cup of sweet and sour fish sauce, which sets it apart from other eateries. Diced pickles are added to the fish sauce, which will undoubtedly bring the flavor of the river region to mind forever.
- Where to eat: Banh Cong Co Ut restaurant
- Address: 86/38 Ly Tu Trong Street, An Cu Ward, Ninh Kieu District, Can Tho.
- Price: 11,000 VND – 30,000 VND.
- Opening hours: 6:30 am – 9:30 pm.
- Google Maps: https://goo.gl/maps/WhEqHnDZdykXR3Qk7
Banh Cong Co Ut restaurant is located in an alley, so it is quite difficult to find, but thanks to its delicious and traditional taste, I and the people here all come to this shop when we want to eat Banh Cong. A delicious Banh Cong served with all kinds of vegetables but the price is very reasonable.
3. Nem Nuong (Vietnam Pork BBQ Rolls)
Nem Nuong is a popular dish in Mekong Delta Vietnam, but each region has different flavors. It is a combination of minced pork, pork fat, and garlic which is kneaded until it becomes chewy. Pork that has been well-kneaded and made into balls is skewered on bamboo skewers and roasted over charcoal.
Nem Nuong is usually eaten with Banh Hoi and accompanied by herbs, carrot-daikon pickles, and vegetables. You can also roll all of them in the rice paper and dip it into a special mixture of fish sauce.
The taste of it is very sweet, a little bit salty, and buttery. Put the Nem Nuong and side dishes on the rice paper – roll it up and dip it in the sauce, then enjoy its flavor that will make you a true foodie.
- Where to eat: Nem Nuong Hai Van restaurant
- Address: 98 De Tham Street, Ninh Kieu District, Can Tho.
- Price: 25,000 VND – 100,000 VND.
- Opening hours: 10:00 am – 10:00 pm.
- Google Maps: https://goo.gl/maps/9PP8uaYuER6vLdCz5
Learn more with inspiration via Emagazine: Nem Nuong – Vietnam Pork BBQ ROLLS in Can Tho.
Although the space here is not too large, it is clean and neat, the tables and chairs are arranged reasonably, and the sitting is very comfortable. Here, the seller uses a very special sauce, which is fermented Vietnamese anchovy fish sauce, so when I enjoy it, I am impressed by the harmonious sweetness of the sauce combined with Nem Nuong.
4. Vit Nau Chao (Vietnamese Duck With Fermented Bean Curd Hotpot)
Vietnamese duck with fermented bean curd hotpot is recognized by the Vietnam Record organization as one of the top 100 unique Vietnamese dishes. This dish has a very fragrant and attractive smell. Also, it has an eye-catching color so it will be very attractive to those who enjoy it.
The main ingredients that make up this dish are Siamese duck and ‘Chao’ – a type of fermented bean curd, it is a typical dish of the Mekong Delta
Many people who are enjoying this dish for the first time have been extremely impressed with its taste because of the sweet taste of the broth.
When eating, you will feel the softness of duck but still retain the toughness, the aroma of coconut water, and the flesh of taro. Served in the hot pot can be fresh noodles, straw mushrooms, or tofu skin.
- Where to eat: Thanh Giao restaurant
- Address: Alley 1, Ly Tu Trong Street, Ninh Kieu District, Can Tho.
- Price: 150,000 VND – 300,000 VND.
- Opening hours: 8:00 am – 11:00 pm.
- Google Maps: https://goo.gl/maps/yYENSSmtViknRusCA
What impresses me about this is that the taste here is very rich and the duck does not have a fishy smell. This is also a special secret that makes anyone who has eaten here unforgettable.
Experience street food in Can Tho with FME Travel: Food tours in Can Tho.
5. Banh Tet La Cam (Cylindrical glutinous rice cake with magenta leaf)
Banh Tet La Cam has become a specialty and famous food in Can Tho. “Banh tet la cam” is different from ordinary “Banh Tet” in that it has the characteristic purple color of magenta leaves along with a delicious taste, so it makes a difference compared to other regions.
In addition to traditional ingredients such as sticky rice, green beans, coconut milk, and fatty meat, Banh Tet La Cam has some very attractive ingredients such as salted duck yolk, and pork.
When you cut the Banh Tet La Cam, you will see that the outside has a purple color of glutinous rice, the inside is meat, the yolk of salted duck seeds, fat, and green beans.
Picked by CNN Travel among world’s top rice cake, Banh Tet La Cam at 14:56 time fram in video:
When enjoying this Banh Tet La Cam, you will feel the suppleness of sticky rice, the sweetness of the meat, and the aroma of salted eggs. The soft and fragrant taste of this Banh Tet La Cam will easily satisfy everyone who enjoys it.
Banh Tet La Cam is not only a delicious Tet dish but also a famous gift of the Western river region. If you have the opportunity to travel to Can Tho, do not forget to enjoy the famous Banh Tet La Cam and other Can Tho specialties!
- Where to eat: Banh Tet La Cam Tu Dep.
- Address: No. 102, Hai Ba Trung Street, Tan An Ward, Ninh Kieu District, Can Tho.
- Price: 40.000 – 100.000 VND.
- Opening hours: 6:30 am – 9:00 pm.
Then, top must-try street food in Can Tho:
6. Chuoi Nep Nuong (Vietnamese Grilled Banana In Sticky Rice)
Chuoi Nep Nuong is a common local snack food in Can Tho. It is said to be the snack of the Southwest upper class in the past.
Find out more: Best Mekong Delta Street Snacks You Must Try.
Peeled bananas will be wrapped in steamed sticky rice. The cake is then wrapped in banana leaves and grilled over charcoal until the banana leaves are black-brown, a touch burned, and fragrant.
People usually enjoy it combined with coconut milk. You can cut it into pieces to dip them in coconut milk and enjoy. The sticky rice wrapper is crunchy and the banana inside is tender. Getting along with the greasy taste of coconut milk would blow your mind and give you a clearer picture of tropical cuisine.
- Address: At the end of De Tham Street, Ninh Kieu District, Can Tho.
- Price: From 10,000 VND.
- Opening hours: 2 pm – 11:00 pm.
7. Nuoc Mia My Tho (My Tho Sugarcane Juice)
Sugarcane juice is a popular beverage in Mekong Delta. You can see sugarcane juice carts anywhere on the road. However, My Tho sugarcane juice is famous for creating a variety of toppings served in a glass of water and is also expertly prepared.
My Tho Sugarcane Juice is a combination of sugarcane juice, coconut milk, roasted peanuts, jelly, jackfruit, and ice. It is pressed from a super clean sugarcane press, ensuring hygiene, and removing all bagasse. Sprinkling on the glass is roasted peanuts, a little salt to the outside, crispy jelly mixed with flavors, shredded fresh jackfruit, and small ice cubes.
Drinking My Tho Sugarcane Juice, you will feel like receiving a cool breeze and the greasy taste remaining on the tip of the tongue.
- Where to eat: Cam Van sugarcane juice shop.
- Address: 19B Mac Thien Tich Street, Xuan Khanh Ward, Ninh Kieu District, Can Tho.
- Price: 12,000 – 30,000 VND.
- Opening hours: 1:30 pm – 10:30 pm.
8. Tau Hu Nong (Douhua / Tofu Pudding)
Tofu Pudding is viewed as a famous street food in Can Tho. The ingredients for this tofu dish are not too complicated. They consist of some simple ingredients like soybean, ginger, pineapple leaves fragrant, sugar, bubble, and coconut cream.
It is so wonderful when you enjoy Tau Hu Nong at night which is soft, smooth, fatty, fragrant, and warm. Sugar water is cooked with pineapple leaves fragrant and poured into a bowl of tofu, and then added coconut milk.
Tau Hu Nong is a rustic dish loved by many people because of the fragrant, soft taste of tofu and scrumptious sugar water and it is appropriate for cold days. Especially, it is suitable for people wanting to watch the streets and enjoy the rustic food on the streets like me.
- Address: at the foot of Quang Trung Bridge, Hung Phu Ward, Cai Rang District, Can Tho.
- Price: 6,000 – 10,000 VND.
- Opening hours: 11 pm – 3:00 am.
9. Banh Mi Am Phu (Night Banh Mi)
Banh Mi Am Phu is popular among foodies not only for its late opening time but for its ingredients as well. It is filled with grilled pork, pork skin, pate, pork dumplings, scallion oil, and homemade fish sauce. It is also combined with vegetables. Just one bite and you will feel the rusticness of the Mekong Delta.
One thing you need to take into account when buying Banh Mi at this place is that you have to wait in a long line. However, the quality of the Banh Mi will be worth your wait. Once eating here, you will never forget the crispness of Banh Mi, the hotness of grilled pork, and the sweet and sour taste of the sauce.
- Address: at the entrance of Alley 20, Nguyen Trai Street, Thoi Binh Ward, Ninh Kieu District, Can Tho.
- Price: 15,000 – 20,000 VND.
- Opening hours: 9 pm – midnight.
10. Soymilk and beef jerky papaya salad
The beef jerky papaya salad served with soy milk is another popular street food in Can Tho that can not be missed. The unique part about eating dried beef salad is that you are not afraid of being full, even after eating 2-3 plates.
The dried beef salad eatery in the Can Tho Museum has been open for nearly 30 years and is constantly busy. The distinctive and memorable taste is most likely due to the ideal blend of papaya, dried beef, peanuts, and spices.
- Address: a corner of the Military Zone 9 Museum, 6 Hoa Binh Boulevard, Tan An Ward, Ninh Kieu District, Can Tho.
- Price: 10,000 – 12,000 VND.
- Beef jerky papaya salad: 12,000 – 15,000 VND.
- Opening hours: From 4:00 pm.
Can Tho food tour best seller: Street food tour in Can Tho.
About the authur
TRAVEL STORIES AND NEWS
Explore Mekong Stories
The Most Popular Tours offered by FME Travel